Gyokuro Kbusecha Cookies
Recipe for Gyokuro cookies 玉露（かぶせ茶）クッキーのレシピ
This is our first attempt at making Gyokuro cookies. Instead of flavoring the cookies with only Matcha powder, we opted for Gyokuro loose leaf tea from Uji, Kyoto (Japan) additionally, and eventually we decided to call them Gyokuro cookies. They are simple little cookies, but really delicious. If you love Japanese green tea - and if you drink it every day - how could you NOT try out these cookies? And you will never be disappointed. This is a recipe for the persons who is really keen on Japanese green tea. For this recipe, we strongly recommend a high quality Gyokuro tea and fresh Matcha. You can use Kabusecha in stead of Gyokuro.
(for 30 cookies of 5mm thick)
240g butter at room temperature
1 egg yolk
2 tablespoon Matcha green tea powder
1 tablespoon of Gyokuro green tea leaves (or Kabusecha)
1. Leave the butter out of the refrigerator to melt a bit.
2. Shift the flour & Matcha twice (we used COOK MATCHA of The Matcha House brand).
3. In a large bowl, beat the butter. Add suger and beat again until the texture becomes creamy.
4. Add beated eggs and continue beating until the mixture becomes yellow-white.
5. Add flour mixture and mix slowly with a rubber spatula until dough just comes together.
6. Add Gyokuro tea leaves and mix well.
7. Pull dough in a log, approximately 4 cm in diameter.
8. Wrap dough log and place in freezer for 15 minutes.
9. Cut dough into a 5mm thick.
10. Bake on parchment lined baking sheets for 20 minutes at 170 º.